Aurora Launch Services (ALS): Aurora Launch Services is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alaska Aerospace, established to provide low cost, highly reliable launch services on a contract basis to both government and commercial space launch customers worldwide. The company is headquartered in Anchorage, Alaska, co-located with Alaska Aerospace.
Position Description: The Communications Technician works in a fast-paced environment supporting a variety of critical launch and ground support systems. Under the general direction of the Systems Administrator, this position is responsible for supporting the infrastructure used for all types of telecommunication systems and services, electronic, and Information Technology (IT) systems, and assigned projects at the Pacific Spaceport Complex – Alaska (PSCA), including fiber and copper data network cabling, operational voice (both wired and wireless systems), mission critical video, ground stations, readiness testing, and other systems involved in real-time communications. The ideal candidate for this role is a strong self-starter with a passion for learning and dedicated to efficient productivity and work with minimal supervision.
The position is a Full-Time position located in Kodiak, AK. Typical 40-hour work week; schedule varies depending on site operational needs and flexibility is required.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
1. Support diverse infrastructure and customer requests for integration of communications and IT systems within PSCA to include, but not limited to, audio, video, and networking systems.
2. Assist with the installation, testing, and acceptance of communication systems and equipment.
3. Perform continuity checks, locate, and correct wiring errors using measuring instruments.
4. Investigate, diagnose, correct, and document instrumentation or system malfunctions.
5. Install and configure computers and other common technology/devices for employees.
6. Integration of communications and information technology equipment and systems with PSCA.
7. Collaborate with team members to troubleshoot failures and communication issues.
8. Assist in the documentation needed for operational support and maintenance of all telecommunications systems.
9. Provide support to launch personnel on a day-to-day basis during launch campaigns.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of the principles, practices, and terminology in telecommunications.
- Background in working with Microsoft Windows Operating Systems and Office Suite.
- Experience with using communications and electronics test and diagnostic equipment, such as Transmission Test Set, Digital Multi Meter, Ethernet LAN Cable Test Set and Fiber Optic Test Set.
- Knowledge and experience with preventative maintenance systems, record keeping, hardware programming.
- Ability to multi-task in a very dynamic and complex environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong self-starter and able to take ownership of systems and work with minimal supervision.
- Willing and able to work extended hours, overtime, and on weekends, as required by mission milestones.
- High school diplomas or equivalent certificate.
- 2+ years of experience working with network communications systems, installing/troubleshooting/repairing standards compliant copper and fiber optic cabling infrastructures, and maintenance/troubleshooting of telephone PBX systems.
- Experience with video and audio distribution systems.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
- U.S. Citizenship and ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) Secret security clearance in accordance with 32 CFR 117.10; existing clearance preferred.
- Pre-employment background check and drug screening required.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
It is the policy of Aurora Launch Services to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
A competitive salary and benefits package, determined upon experience level of individual, will be negotiated after an offer to hire has been given.
Please apply online on Indeed.com or send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions call (907) 486-2271. This position will remain open until filled. Visit application here.