Maintenance Technician HVAC
Aurora Launch Services (ALS): Aurora Launch Services is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alaska Aerospace, established to provide low cost, highly reliable launch services on a contract basis to both government and commercial space launch customers worldwide. The company is headquartered in Anchorage, Alaska, co-located with Alaska Aerospace.
Position Description: Under the direction of the Pacific Spaceport Complex Alaska (PSCA) Spaceport Manager, the Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) technician supervises the operation, repair, and maintenance of all the HVAC systems (electrical and/or mechanical) at the PSCA. This position is responsible for all HVAC systems and performing hands-on equipment installation and maintenance with specific responsibility for the operation and maintenance of a class 10,000 clean room in the Payload Processing Facility (PPF).
Full-Time and Part-Time positions available located in Kodiak, AK; schedule varies depending on site operational needs and flexibility is required.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
1. Operate and maintain the Payload Processing Facility’s HVAC class 10,000 clean room including the installation, maintenance, and support of the mechanical and electrical infrastructure to assure on-demand readiness for mission requirements.
2. Supervise the clean room environment including managing the air filter system, controlling the HVAC system, and monitoring room temperature, humidity, air pressure, and other factors.
3. Operate and maintain the HVAC systems in all other processing and launch facilities to meet temperature and humidity requirements to assure on-demand readiness for mission requirements.
4. Operate HVAC systems using Siemens BAS system interfacing via laptop computer for all diagnostic and data retrieval.
5. Perform maintenance, repair, modification, rebuilding and installation of various facilities and equipment operated at PSCA.
6. Manage inventory of clean room supplies and submit purchase order requests.
7. Develop and implement preventative maintenance programs.
8. Install and configure Ethernet-based data loggers and retrieve data for compiling reports and trends.
9. Assist with minor facility modifications and upgrades.
10. Operate support equipment including, but not limited to, forklifts, man-lifts, and other heavy equipment.
11. Write, organize, and produce documentation needed for assigned tasks.
12. Perform general maintenance tasks including, but not limited to, roads and grounds, water and sewage systems, electrical distribution systems, security systems, building envelope, and any interior facilities systems including plumbing and electrical.
13. Provide support to launch personnel on a day-to-day basis during launch campaigns.
14. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Proficient in the safe and effective use of all types of power and hand tools in performing hands-on equipment installation and maintenance.
- An understanding of test procedures and knowledge of electronics is required to operate diagnostic tools.
- Understand and follow complex facility blueprints, drawings, and other documentation.
- Analyze complex functions, procedures and problems to find creative, logical and effective solutions.
- Background in working Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office computer operating systems.
- Understand and follow OSHA safety guidelines in the workplace.
- Communicate clearly and professionally, both verbally and in writing, with staff, customers, and the public in a variety of settings.
- Ability to multi-task in a dynamic and complex environment.
- Work productively as a team member and independently with minimal supervision.
- Willing and able to work extended hours, overtime, and on weekends, as required by mission milestones.
- Five (5) years of experience in HVAC mechanics, installation, and repair.
- Hands-on experience, education and training may come from one or more of the following institutions: trade or technical school, union apprenticeship, and junior or community college, including the Armed Forces, or other related coursework from a postsecondary institution. Training must cover a six-month to two-year program in heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration and include the study of theory, design, and equipment construction, as well as electronics.
- Universal Refrigerant License.
- Valid Driver’s License required. May require a CDL.
- U.S. Citizenship and ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) Secret security clearance in accordance with 32 CFR 117.10; existing clearance preferred.
- Pre-employment background check and drug screening required.
- Qualification in safe operation of standard logistics support equipment including forklifts, man lifts, tractor-trailers, loaders, and bridge cranes. Class “A” CDL may be required.
- A working knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, and terminology applied to automotive, heavy equipment, and other logistics equipment operations and maintenance.
- Experience in class 10,000 clean room management, maintenance, and controls.
- Experience in Siemens Control systems interpretation and analysis.
- Experience with data loggers including programming and download of data.
- Experience with the use of a 15-ton bridge crane and familiarity with hydrazine fueling.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
It is the policy of Aurora Launch Services to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
A competitive salary and benefits package, determined upon experience level of individual, will be negotiated after an offer to hire has been given.
Please apply online on Indeed.com or send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. For questions call (907) 486-2271. This position will remain open until filled. Visit application here.